Every Child a Library Member (ECALM) is a programme of The Scottish Library and Information Council (SLIC). SLIC is a registered charity and private company. This policy tells you what to expect when SLIC collects personal information. Any personal information collected by SLIC will be used in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
SLIC seeks to ensure that the information published on the ECALM website is up to date and accurate. However, the information on the website does not constitute legal or professional advice and SLIC cannot accept any liability for actions arising from its use.
1. When we collect information and how we use it
We collect information in a number of ways:
- when you visit our website
- when you make an enquiry
- when you submit statistical and participation data
- when you subscribe to our mailing list or request information from us
Information is used by us for the following purposes:
- to inform members of SLIC, key delivery partners and the public about activities relating to ECALM and upcoming events.
- to track and evaluate participation in ECALM – we will share participation information with key stakeholders, including the Scottish Government.
- to encourage best practice relating to ECALM
- sending email alerts and updates about ECALM related matters
Any personal data you provide when signing up for our newsletter and email alerts will only be used for that purpose. This information will not be passed to any third parties.
Any queries about the newsletter and email alerts or how we use your information should be sent to
2. How we publish information On our website
Through our websites, we will not collect any personally identifiable information about you (e.g. your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address (“Personal Information”), unless you voluntarily provide it (e.g. by registration, email enquiry, survey etc). If you do not want your personal information collected, please do not submit it.
By using our website, submitting your Personal Information or using our services, you consent to us using your Personal Information for purposes as described above.
3. Access to your information held by SLIC
The General Data protection Regulation (2016) gives you rights to:
- Confirm your data is being processed;
- Access your personal data and
- Other supplementary information – this largely corresponds to information that should beheld in a privacy notice
How do I make a request to SLIC under the GDPR?
You should make a request in writing to:
The Scottish Library and Information Council
175 West George Street
Glasgow G2 2LB
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org putting ‘Subject Access Request’ in the title.
Information will ordinarily be provided free of charge, however, a fee of £10 will be charged if this request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
We will need you to supply proof of your identity, for example:
- a photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or
- a photocopy of a current photo driving license and
- a copy of a current utilities bill, or credit card or bank statement which shows your address.
The information will be returned to you if requested; otherwise it will be securely destroyed once we no longer need it
It is helpful if you can give us any information to help narrow the search, such as specific personal information you are looking for or which part of SLIC you have had contact with.
4. Other websites
5. Changes to this policy
Our policy was last updated on 3rd October 2022.